Requesting my notes.

3rd February 2024.

I would never have believed how difficult it is to write a request to see my therapy notes, if I hadn't tried. 

And failed.

I just can't find the words.

Yet.

It should be done - it makes sense for me to do this.

What gets in the way of just asking, is the second guessing, and the rich cocktail of emotions I'm almost knocked out by; a mixture of sadness, anger and futility. OK, I know it, I know what I'm doing, I'm second guessing how he will feel to read the request, and I don't want to be the catalyst that opens up those feelings. And sure, I'm second guessing that his reply - if he replies - will be to ask me why?

I do not wish to answer that question. 

Not because I have any need for secrecy, or feel that he shouldn't know why. But simply because it is over stepping the mark. He isn't my therapist, I'm not asking for therapy. I just want to get a 360 degree crash report. 

So, if this were me, and a client asked me for my notes about them - I have no problem with offering the truth. My answer is, 'the sheet of A 4 I wrote things down on during the session has been destroyed. I will copy and paste the notes I keep for my records to you, and I hope that you get in touch with me if there is anything in there that doesn't make sense or I've got wrong. If there is I am happy to change it'. 

I'm not going to suggest that we sit down together and go through the notes. But I might ask if they would like to do that. 

My inspiration for how to practice is a supervisor who wrote something I felt could be detrimental when I was in placement. I requested that she changed her wording, and she simply apologized and changed the wording. 

No drama - gold standard! 

So, let's imagine - I've sent my request, my SAR (subject access request) and there is no reply from Kit.

Well, the next action is to contact the ICO. I had wondered why it is a standard thing for therapists to register with them - and now I get it. 

From the ICO website:

  1. Individuals have the right to access and receive a copy of their personal data, and other supplementary information.
  2. This is commonly referred to as a subject access request or ‘SAR’.
  3. Individuals can make SARs verbally or in writing, including via social media.
  4. A third party can also make a SAR on behalf of another person.
  5. In most circumstances, you cannot charge a fee to deal with a request.
  6. You should respond without delay and within one month of receipt of the request.
  7. You may extend the time limit by a further two months if the request is complex or if you receive a number of requests from the individual.
  8. You should perform a reasonable search for the requested information.
  9. You should provide the information in an accessible, concise and intelligible format.
  10. The information should be disclosed securely.
  11. You can only refuse to provide the information if an exemption or restriction applies, or if the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. [+]
I wonder what exactly is meant by 'manifestly unfounded or excessive'? I am assuming manifestly unfounded would be like asking the bus company to give me a run down of all the info they had on my travel history over the last two decades before they used contactless payment, and notes about where I sit? It is manifestly unfounded to think that a bus company has any relevant information about my bus use twenty years ago, and perhaps I should check my bank statements instead!

Manifestly excessive is harder to understand, or guess about.

So, the outcome of all this is - should I write the email request, as an essay (was good for the supervision debacle) or send naught but a sentence and await the why question?


5th February 2024.
Email sent:

Dear Kit,

This email isn't a formal request.


This is a notification, to let you know that I'm thinking of requesting my session notes from you. 


I will let you know my decision at the end of February.


Xerpa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Denial.

Psychotherapy: Eros and magic.

When I hear his truth, there is contact. 22nd November 2021.